Thursday, May 24, 2007

Fill 'er up?

I drive a pretty fuel-efficient car. I keep my tires inflated, use cruise control when possible, organize my errands to minimize driving time, blah blah blah. So I was pretty happy to hear that on the day that gas prices in beautiful downtown Brighton jumping from $3.44 to $3.57 in one morning , the House would be voting on a measure to crack down on gasoline price gouging, and a directive to the Justice Department to prosecute “unconscionably excessive” pricing.

Guess who voted against it?

According to Mr. Rogers,

"What I'm afraid of is that you're going hear in the days and weeks ahead calls for investigations. That isn't an energy policy. We really need more refining capacity and alternative energy. We don't need more hot air."
It’s definitely the case that we need a bigger investment in alternative energy. It’s also true that despite their record-breaking profits the past few years, the oil companies haven’t increased their refining capability.

But… why not walk & chew gum at the same time? Why NOT go after price gougers, Mr. FBI Guy?

Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Mr. Rogers voted for the 2005 Energy Bill that gave $12 billion plus in tax breaks and incentives to the oil & gas industries. Or that he has taken $153, 750 from Big Oil.

On the bright side, at least he’s consistent: he voted against crackdowns on price gouging in 2005, too.

Who does Mike Rogers really work for?

1 comment:

Eric said...

Refining capacity?

I suppose there are more direct ways to make us more dependent on foreign oil than to flood the market with it, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.